One of my last days in Cairo, Skyping with my parents my mother pointed out the reality:
"Christine, what the heck is going on? Your entire blog is about food."
I explained to her the truth -- it had to be. It took two weeks of class for me to realize that my students had found my blog, and since I advertised it easily enough I know that most of my friends frequented it. What else am I allowed to write about then what I eat?
I can't say that I am struggling teaching, or that a certain student is my favorite and really stands out. I also could not write about how frustrated I was with my work, the culture, and Islam. I couldn't write about how ridiculous a custom is, how I know a student was cheating through my class (I finally caught him during the exam), or divulge the great answers I received from students on exams.
I also could not share my struggle trying to get my students understand the word 'celebrity.' Your father is not a celebrity. Unless you frequent with JLo, your friends are not celebrities. Let's list celebrities. This word will be on the final exam. Know this word.
I think the quote book is coming -- but an explanation was needed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
good
Post a Comment