Wednesday, June 18, 2008

June 18

I have barely been in Egypt for a week and already eaten pizza three times. It is sadly disgusting, but I have also had at least six chicken schwarmas, so in considering my lack of variety (and our lack of cooking appliances) I guess it is acceptable.

Jake and I are finally in Alexandria after a week in Cairo -- it is good to have a place of our own. The flat we are staying in is uber cute - coral walls, two TVs, decent AC and a quaint balcony looking over the garden -- the same garden of the building where we teach. The sea is about a five minute walk, and though I have seen the ocean a few times now from the street, I have yet to actually put my feet in the sand.

Today was my first day teaching - we arrived here Monday afternoon, I observed on Tuesday, and today the class was mine. It was awful. Firstly, the kids were just too smart for the subject - space exploration. They were shooting off facts at me in English about the sun, stars, and planets faster than I could respond. Not to mention the talking in Arabic, running around, wrestling. I am going to have to get it seriously under control. I am really worried that I may not have it down until next session.

In other news, I think the disc drive of my computer may be broken.

No comments: