Nothing bothers me more then when I see a women in full nikab and then her husband wearing Western clothing - a tight striped t-shirt and a gold chain to top it off. It is not the nikab that bothers me, but the man who accompanies it. If he was dressed even half as conservatively (or religiously) as she is then I would have no qualms. Behind the slits I see two eyes outlined in thick eyeliner staring back at me apologizing for bumping me on the train. Beneath the black cloth (okay, who ever decided on black was seriously oppressive, do you know how hot it must be in there?) you can see quite a bit of eye shadow blinking back at you. That little bit of makeup is like their desperate plea for individuality.
Besides, I don't think the nikab fully serves it's purpose. Jake has said it before and I think it is true for a lot of guys: the girls completely covered, gloves and all fascinate him.
On a slightly funnier note, the other day we went to the Alex Library and there was a woman there in full nikab using the computer. She was holding up her digital camera to and either videoing or photographing whatever was in front of her. In the States this would be a HUGE problem... the I mean, just imagine it to realize how conspicuous it looks. However, here in Egypt, it is not even noticed.
At first, I loved the modest culture. Even the Axe adds only show a pretty girl and that feels like something of a scandal, but I think the little things are starting to get to me.
I took this video at the beach... the beach where we were not allowed to lay down and had to wear clothes into the water -- where even then we were followed around by Egyptian men. I yelled at a 12 year old boy; "Do you understand my English? What do you want? Then go away. Leave us alone."
Julie and I both took videos of men dancing at the beach, but I can't seem to get mine to load. It is incredibly sexual and suggestive; yet still, I am not interested. I am sure you already realized this, but just to add -- the women are not allowed to dance.
While we were in Cairo the harassment was so bad I second guessed my ever wanting to come back and work in Egypt. In Alexandria it is not nearly as bad, but it is annoying when I am dressed much more conservatively than women in hijab and yet I am still called out and hissed just because my head is not covered (good thought, I was totally not interested until you treated me like a piece of meat -- now, of course I would love to marry you) . One of these days, when I am wearing a skirt that passes my knees and a loose t-shirt that doesn't a single curve I am going to totally loose it on some unsuspecting Egyptian guy. While Jake has specifically asked not to be present when it happens, I know at least half a dozen people would pay to watch me verbally drop kick my assaulter.
While I have always remained incredibly skeptical over Hirsi Ali, I find that my mind keeps wandering to the word "caged."
In other news, one of my students -- a very mannered Egyptian guy in his late teens or early twenties came up to me after class yesterday.
"Miss, I was wondering what the word 'promiscuous' means?"
me: umm.. ha... have you been listening to American music?
"yes."
me: Okay. Well. Um. It is Haram. I can't really explain it to you. So haram. It is like sexy. Why don't you Google it, that will give you a better answer than I can.
Promiscous was so much easier to explain to Kathrin and Irene.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
just be careful with "verbally drop kicking" anyone over there... the last thing mom and dad need is you in prison over there. (mom has a new favorite show called Locked Up Abroad... and well you can imagine what that is like...
love you. :)
Post a Comment